Several local hockey players have been selected to compete in the Alberta Cup.
Sixteen players from across the heartland are heading to Red Deer later this month to participate in the Alberta Cup, which features the top 2007-born male athletes from across the province.
The tournament aims at identifying and selecting potential players for Hockey Alberta's Team Alberta program. Many players will also be chosen in the upcoming 2022 Western Hockey League Prospects Draft.
"We were thrilled to be back in the arena to host the regional camps and impressed at the level of talent on display," said Mike Kraichy, Hockey Alberta's manager of Elite Male Hockey.
The Alberta Cup began in 1986 as a program for U18 hockey players, running until 1988. It went on hiatus until 1993, when it re-emerged as a U15-level competition.
A total of 120 players from across the province are assigned to six regional teams.
Here is who will be representing the local area in this year's Alberta Cup:
Alberta Blue Roster
- Braeden Cootes, Forward, Sherwood Park
- Zachary Mazurenko, Defenceman, Thorhild
- Finn McGhie, Defenceman, Sherwood Park
- Connor Knorr, Goalie, Sherwood Park
Alberta Black Roster
- Ashton Brown, Forward, Sherwood Park
- Kale Dach, Forward, Fort Saskatchewan
- Emerson Hauch, Forward, Bruderheim
- Jaden Kokosha, Forward, Ardrossan
- Hudson Landmark, Forward, Sherwood Park
- Andrew Thomson, Forward, Sherwood Park
- Jake Walker, Forward, Sherwood Park
- Hunter Yannick, Forward, Fort Saskatchewan
- Madox Fisher, Defenceman, Sherwood Park
- Lachlan Kirkey, Goalie, Sturgeon County
Alberta Grey Roster
- Connor Schmidt, Defenceman, Sturgeon County
- Ryan Grout, Goalie, Sturgeon County
Players will hit the ice at the Gary W. Harris Canada Games Centre in Red Deer from Apr. 28 to May 1.