The Warden's House at the Fort Heritage Precinct is donning a familiar look.
For the past 30 years most would know the historic home by its white stucco and green trim, however, photographs and physical examinations of the building revealed that the house was originally painted peach and red.
The latest improvement of many over the past several years, was to return the building to this colour.
"It was leased to the Allied Arts Council around 1990-91, and then they painted it green and white prior to using it as a tea house and gallery," Cherise Elliott, Fort Saskatchewan's culture and heritage supervisor explained.
Now home to the Fort Heritage Precinct's visitor information centre, it was first the residence of warden J.D. McLean of the Fort Saskatchewan Provincial Gaol from 1937 to 1973.
The new paint job cost the city just under $11,000 and was scheduled as part of the city's annual maintenance plan. They have plans to continue renovations in order to restore the building as much as possible to its original state.
"In the future we plan to paint the interior the same colour as when the warden's residence was first built, and we also plan to care for the existing hardwood floors," Elliott continued.
Because the Allied Arts Council made several renovations to the home, it is unknown whether or not the existing floors are part of the buildings original structure.
"The main floors we feel are original but the upper floors we're unsure about."
Anyone who may have information on the original floors is asked to contact Cherise Elliott: CElliott@fortsask.ca.
"It's really important for us and how we care for it."